Monday, January 5, 2009

Spicy Cheeseburger Soup

This was a great recipe that my aunt passed on to me. It is originally from Taste of Home cookbooks. I modified it to be healthier & I think it still tastes great. Heck, my kids even had seconds! If you leave out the bacon it is still very good and it will shave the point value down to 6 points per serving. I do love bacon though, so I had it with mine;-) Next time, I think I will serve it with French or Baguette Bread.



POINTS® Value: 8
Servings: 6


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup(s) water
2 cup(s) potato(es), peeled & cubed
2 small carrot(s), grated
1 small onion(s), chopped
1/4 cup(s) green pepper(s), chopped
1 medium jalapeno pepper(s), seeded & chopped
1 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
1 tbsp beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp table salt
1 pound(s) cooked extra lean ground beef
2 1/2 cup(s) fat-free skim milk
8 oz Kraft Velveeta Light Reduced-Fat Pasteurized Processed Cheese Product
6 slice(s) cooked bacon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, optional


Instructions:

In a large Dutch oven, combine water, potatoes, carrots, onion, green pepper, jalapeno pepper, celery, garlic, bouillon and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the cooked ground beef and 2 cups of the milk. Heat through. In a small bowl, stir together the flour and remaining milk until smooth. Gradually stir into soup; bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or more until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; stir in cheese and cook until melted. Add cayenne if desired. Ladle soup into serving bowls; top each bowl with crumbled bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment